Summer Boost is a program designed to help currently enrolled students at WVU increase their cumulative GPA and earn course credit during the summer term. This program will provide students with resources that will help in academic success. Upon completion of the program, with a C or better in each course, students are eligible for a summer stipend. In-state students can earn up to 30% of university tuition. Out-of-state students can earn up to 40% of university tuition. Students must be enrolled in a regular summer term course (between May 16th, 2022 and August 5th, 2022).
Maymester 2022 course sections are not supported through this program. Classes may be offered by WVU Main Campus.
Participants must meet ONE of the following eligibility requirements:
- Cumulative GPA below 3.0, or
- Re-attempting an eligible D/F repeat or withdrawn course work in the summer term, or
- Scholarship recipients needing to reach the completion and GPA benchmark requirements for scholarship eligibility
Program Requirements for Tuition Stipend
The tuition stipend for Summer BOOST participants is equivalent to 30% of university tuition for in-state students and 40% for out-of-state students for the summer 2022 term. Other charges such as college tuition and university fees may still apply.
Summer BOOST participants are required to complete the academic resource listed in their individualized success plan. The following actions are required for tuition stipend consideration:
- Complete your personalized BOOST Plan.
- Plans could include attending success coaching meetings, attending tutoring if applicable, or completing StudentLingo modules.
- BOOST Plans are created based on your application submission and academic history.
- Earn a C or better in all attempted courses in the summer 2022 term
Benefits of the Program
Students can raise their cumulative GPA (CGPA) by retaking courses where a higher grade is desired. By focusing on just these classes, students can have an opportunity to earn the CGPA needed to start the next school year in good academic standing or maintain the PROMISE and Institutional Scholarships. By taking a summer course, eligible students can stay on track for graduation.
Other benefits include:
- Students can take part in smaller, more intensive classes.
- Students can utilize success coaches, tutors, and workshops to help improve academic performance.
- Students on academic suspension can potentially raise their CGPA sufficiently to return to WVU for the upcoming fall term.
- Students who earn a C or better in each attempted course and complete the academic resource requirement are eligible for a tuition stipend to be applied as a credit to the student account.
- First, register for desired summer courses via STAR.
- Then, submit the Summer BOOST application online by 5 pm on the due date.
- Last, a verification form will be sent to your Academic Advisor for completion of your registration.
| Class Start Date
|| Registration Due Date
|May 16th- June 6th||May 12th|
|June 27th- July 18th||June 23rd|
For questions or comments, please contact Niara Campbell at 304-293-5804 or SummerBOOST@mail.wvu.edu
Important Notes For Participants
Courses during summer sessions are typically either 3 or 6 weeks long. It is your responsibility to check the times and dates for courses when registering.
Qualifying tutoring hours can be completed online through the Academic Resource
Center. Students may also use other campus organized tutoring centers that track
services in Navigate.
All courses must be degree pursuant to be eligible for the program.